Topics addressed by recent ESPM Department affiliated research include the following:
- “Project Risk Management: Systematic and Strategic Approach,” a textbook from UAA. Ra and Fisher. (In development process for publication in 2009)
- “Changing Mindset: A Professional Learning Challenge for Senior Management.” Donson, Paula M. (Currently in development and will be targeted at multiple Managerial publications.)
- “Counseling Models for Productive Workplaces.” Donson, Paula M. (In process for possible publication in The Journal of Training and Development)
- "Project Portfolio Management.” Wang. (In process for possible publication in Journal of Project Management.)
- “The Future of Project Management Education and Training Circa 2025” Ra. 2009. To be published as a chapter of “PM Circa 2025” by PMI (Cleland and Bidanda)
- “EQUATOR AQUARIAN CLINIC – Pediatric Health Care Center, Rwanda, East Africa,” Project Engineer for Design for Children Competition, January 15, 2009 http://designforthechildren.org/index.php. Wang.
- “Project Management Leading Managerial Revolutions,” Ra, Proceedings of ProMAC2008, Anchorage, Alaska, ISBN978-4-902378-10-8
- “Agile at Alaska Airlines: Communication Tools.” Strahm, L. (Alaska Air Cohort) for ProMAC 2008.
- “Alaska Airlines Flight Operation Project Communication.” Lowy, R. (Alaska Air Cohort) for ProMAC 2008.
- “Alaska’s Election Security: A Systems Approach” (Piccard, Ayers, Hoanca, Hoffman, Martin and Mock) ProMAC 2008
- “Alaska Section - The Design/Build Process: A Guide to Licensing and Procurement Requirements in the 50 States and Canada”, Publications Planning & Marketing, American Bar Association, Chicago, 2008. Davison, Bruce E.
- “Breaking through the Clutter: Using Marketing Tools & Techniques to Enhance Project Communications.” Weishaar, K. (Alaska Air Cohort) for ProMAC 2008.
- “A Case Study in communication Challenges in a Large Scale Information Technology Project” Elkins, M. (Alaska Air Cohort) for ProMAC 2008.
- “Change Communication Challenges-A Case Study of Structural Change in a Service Division.” Dussell, K. (Alaska Air Cohort) for ProMAC 2008.
- “Communication Tools and Techniques that Distinguish High Performance Teams.” Mohn, C. (Alaska Air Cohort) for ProMAC 2008.
- “The Future of Project Risk Management” Ra, Fisher and Kretchik, research completed with funding from ConocoPhillips Alaska, Inc., Feb. 2008. (110 pages)
- “IT Procurement Decision using Risk based AHP with Chainwise Comparisons Technique” Douglas and Ra, published at PMI Global Congress NA 2008
- ”Measures of Project Risk”, ProMAC 2008, Anchorage, Alaska, 2008. Kretchik, Ra, and Fisher.
- “Organizational Project Risk Management Maturity Assessment and Improvement” Fisher, Kretchik, and Ra, published at ProMAC 2008
- “Program Management‐ Recent Research on Program Management of Alaska Pipelines”, National Project Management Association (NPMA), Taiwan, June, 24, 2008. Wang.
- “Project Accountability - Using Metrics as a Means for Project Communication”. Baysa, M. (Alaska Air Cohort) for ProMAC 2008.
- “Project Communication: A View from the Trenches.” Davey, B. (Alaska Air Cohort) for ProMAC 2008.
- “Project Communications in Times of Conflict.” Rice, M. (Alaska Air Cohort) for ProMAC 2008.
- “Glovirtualiztion – Managing a Glovirtual Project Team in Global Economy” Kim, K.P. for ProMAC 2008.
- “Project Steering Committees in a Matrix Organization.” Pykkonen, R. (Alaska Air Cohort) for ProMAC 2008.
- “Project Tools – Increasing Effective Communication through Technology.” Mullinax, S. (Alaska Air Cohort) for ProMAC 2008.
- “Promoting Project Communication Using Wikis.” Petroske, J. (Alaska Air Cohort) for ProMAC 2008.
- “Replacement Analysis of the LED Lighting Systems” Wang, H.M.S. for ProMAC 2008.
- "Simulation Of A Cold Heavy Oil Production With Sand (Chops) Separation System". Dr. David Hoffman. Written and presented for BPXA to publish this paper and in CHOPS (Dec 2008).
- “A Simulation for Learning Project Management as a System.” Hoffman and Piccard. ProMAC 2008.
- State of Alaska Election Security Project: Phase 1 and Phase 2 Project Summary Reports. Piccard. 2007 and 2008.
- “A Study on Fuzzy Synthetic Judgment Method for Ecommerce” Kwon, Y.J., Yang, C., Kwon, D., Ra, J. for ProMAC 2008.
- “A Survey of Project Risk Quantification Models” Kretchik, Fisher, and Ra, for ProMAC 2008.
- “Tools and Methodologies for Communication Project Lessons Learned Within an Organization.” Gillis, K. (Alaska Air Cohort) for ProMAC 2008.
- “Using the Harbor Economic Impact Model for Regional Economic Development Analysis.” Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Alaska Association of Harbormasters and Port Administrators, Haines, Alaska. October 9, 2008. Fisher, M.
- “What Can We do to Create the Leaders We Will Need for the Future?” for PROMAC 2008. Donson, Paula.
- “Project Risk Management for Alaska Oil and Gas Capital Projects” Ra and Fisher, chapter in Project Managers Handbook, Applying Best Practices Across Global Industries, edited by Drs. Cleland and Ireland, 2007.
- “A State Government Department Navigation in Project Risk Management, the Unexpected, and Novel Projects.” Douglas and Ra, published and presented at PMI Global Congress NA 2007.
- “A Systems Dynamic Approach to Model a Multimodal Energy System in Rural Arctic Communities” Hemsath and Hoffman, for the Arctic Energy Summit, Anchorage AK, October 2007.
- “IT Project Management Graduate Course Design” Ra, Proceedings of Pan Pacific Conference XXIII, Busan, May 28-31, 2006
- Report of “A Systematic Evaluation of the ConocoPhillips Capital Projects,” Ra, submitted to ConocoPhillips, December 2006 (200 pages)
- State of Alaska Department of Labor Case Study in Project Team building, ‘Constraints, Competencies, Conflicts, and the People Side of Change” Douglas and Ra, presented at PMI Global Congress NA 2006
- “Consolidated Multiple Project Performance Graphics and Indices,” Ra, in Proceedings of ProMAC 2004, Japan, Oct 12-14, 2004.
- “International Business and Global Project Management; Proceedings of Pan Pacific Conference XXI,” Sang Lee and Jang Ra ISBN 1-931649-18-11, 2004.
- Report of “Providence Alaska Medical Center Facilities Department Management Review,” Ra, Nov, 2004 (45 pages).
- "Assessment of the Project Management Training Needs in the Russian Far East", in Proceedings of Pan Pacific Business Conference, Anchorage, AK, May 26-28, 2004. Korobov, Alexander and Ra, Jang.
- "One Page Graphical Presentation of Multiple Project Performance", in Proceedings of Pan Pacific Business Conference, Anchorage, AK, May 26-28, 2004. Korobov, Alexander and Ra, Jang.
- "Project Management: A "Hands-On" Approach", in Proceedings of Pan Pacific Business Conference, Anchorage, AK, May 26-28, 2004. McFarland, Pamela and Ra, Jang.
- Gunderson, David; Ra, Jang and Schroeder, Herb. “Needs Assessment - A Construction Management Bachelor of Science Degree Program in Alaska”, in Journal of Construction Education, Vol. 7 No.2, pp 86-96, Summer 2002.
- Hemsath, James and Ra, Jang. “Multiple Project Management Using Graphical Performance Indicators” in 2002AACE International Transactions, June 23-26,2002.
- Hemsath, James R. and Ra, J. W. “Web Based, Real Time Protocol for Management of Change in a North Slope Oil Exploration and Production Operation", in Proceedings of Portland International Conference on Management of Engineering and Technology (PICME1), Portland, OR. 2001.
- Weaver, Jason and Ra, J. W. "A New Methodology for Assessing the Impacts of Small-Scale Solvent Supply Variations within the Prudhoe Bay Miscible Flood" ,in Proceedings of the National Society of Petroleum Engineers Conference, Dallas, TX, October 2-4, 2000.
- Roemhildt, Steve, J. R. Kinney and J. W Ra. "Comparing the Design Charrette Process to Traditional Project Development Processes for US Army Corps of Engineers, Alaska District", in Proceedings of the PMI I 2000 Seminars & Symposium Technical Program, Houston, TX, September 7-1 3, 2000.
- Ra, Jang and Kinney, James R., “Using the Informal Network Matrix for Project Management Training”, in Proceedings of The PMI 2000 Seminars & Symposium Technical Program, in Houston, TX, September 7-13, 2000.
- Buckingham, James and J. W Ra, “Development of a Comprehensive Stakeholder Diagram with Application to Improving Weather Reporting Systems in Rural Alaska”, in Proceedings of Western Decision Sciences Institute’s 29th Annual Meeting, April 18-22, 2000, Hawaii.
- Mitchell, Joann C. and1: G. Eschenbach, "Compensation of Consulting Engineers in Alaska: the Legalities and Realities", ASCE Journal of Management in Engineering, Vol.15 No. I. 1999, pp.66-73.
- Buckingham, James and J. W Ra, "Application of the AHP to Evaluate Airstrips Information Gathering Alternatives”, Technology and Innovation Management Book, IEEE ISBN: 0-7803-5282-3, 1999, pp.339-346
- Buckingham, James and J. W Ra, “Stakeholders Analysis Tools Applied in Airstrip Information Reporting System”, in Proceedings of Portland International Conference on Management of Engineering and Technology (PICMET), Portland, OR, July 25-29, 1999.
- Kretchik, Gary and J. W. Ra. "The Study of the SICS - An Alternative Consistency Measure of Pairwise Comparisons", in Proceedings of PICMET, Portland. OR. July 25-29, 1999.
- Schroeder, Herb and T. B.Wood, "Concrete Reinforcement Steel Bond Strength of Low-Temperature Concrete”, ASCE Journal of Cold Regions Engineering. Vol. 10, No.2, 1996.
- Roeder, William and J. W. Ra. "Using A HP for the Assessment of a National Energy Policy" in Proceedings of Decision Sciences Institute National Meeting”, in Proceedings of Decision Sciences Institute National Meeting, Orlando, FL. Nov. 24-26, 1996.
- Kinney, James R. and J. W Ra, "The T raining of Entry-Level Engineers for Practice in Civil Engineering and Design Consulting Firm,” ASCE Journal of Management in Engineering, Vol. 11 No.3, 1995, pp. 35-40. Best Paper Award.
Library Images Courtesy of The UAA/APU Consortium Library.